Monday, December 13, 2010

Riverview Wins 2nd CX Title!

Following Ned Overend's lead, who lives 6 doors down from my Durango Riverview neighborhood home, Todd Wells, who lives a further 4 doors away, secured a National Cyclocross title on Sunday in Bend, Oregon. I only wish I was still in good enough shape to ask Mrs. Overend and Mrs. Wells if Todd and Ned could come over to ride with me. Look for the upcoming review of their championship Specialized bikes by Matt Phillips of Bicycling Magazine, who lives next door.

Wells wipes the field clean

Todd Wells (Specialized-Cal Giant) captured his first cyclo-cross win of the season, the one that counted the most, at the UCI elite men's USA Cycling Cyclo-cross Championships held on Sunday in Bend, Oregon. The newly-crowned national champion outgunned the hometown favourite Ryan Trebon (Kona-FSA) who placed second and recent US Gran Prix of Cyclo-cross (USGP) overall winner Jeremy Powers (Cannondale p/b Cyclocrossworld.com) in third.

Wells won the mountain bike cross-country and short track national championships earlier this year. He took some time off to recover from a successful summer of racing before diving into the cyclo-cross season this Fall with a goal of winning the national title. He is no stranger cyclo-cross stars and stripes jersey, having won the event on two previous occasions - in 2001 and 2005.

"All my jerseys are pretty special to me but it's always nice to get a title and this one is right up there with the others," Wells said.

Wells dedicated his victory to friend and former team manager, Jerry Hutchinson, who passed away this summer. "He passed away six weeks ago and I wanted to dedicate the race to him and get a victory," Wells said. "I was thinking about him the whole time and I felt like he was with me out there." Click to read the rest of the article ...

Todd leading Jeremy Powers

No comments:

Post a Comment